Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Kids' Book Exchange

A girlfriend of mine sent me a letter early December to participate in a book exchange. Normally, I avoid chain letters like the plague, but since it had to do with books, my interest was peaked. All I had to do was send a book, six letters and then wait for the mail. We have no shortage of books in the house between those we started with, the library, and gifts for E. But I'm of the mind that you can never have too many books! One day I hope we can have a whole wall dedicated to book shelves. Better yet, a library with one of the wheeling ladders. 

Anyway, I was a bit skeptical at first since it was around the holidays and I'm sure many people are in my "party-pooper" camp when it comes to chain letters. But so far, E has received six books, and I just sent out my last two a few weeks ago. It's a short chain with only two degrees of separation so we actually know some of the people we're getting books from.
For the cost of one book, you have the potential of getting 36 books back. I say that's a sweet deal. And even if not everyone plays along, it's still worth it. He truly loves getting mail.


The letter went something like this...

Dear __________,

Welcome to our book exchange! Send ONE new or gently used book to the child listed at #1 below. Then make 6 new copies of the blank letter I’ve included here and send to SIX friends. Use the blank letter I sent you and move MY child’s name, age and address to the #1 spot and put YOUR child’s name, age and address on the #2 spot and make SIX copies. Mail both a blank copy and a filled out copy to SIX friends and wait for your books to arrive. This is just for fun! Soon your child could receive 36 books in return! What a deal!


If you can’t do this within one week {give or take a few}, please let me know!  The children who have participated are looking forward to their books arriving. A manila envelope will mail a book nicely and you should receive 36 ‘new’ books if everyone participates. Seldom does anyone drop out, as you know kids love to read books and receive mail. You should receive your books in about 2 weeks if you get your letters out right away. 

It will be lots of fun but please let me know if you can’t participate ASAP. You can reach me at ____________ @____.com


Thanks and enjoy your books!

Child #1
Name
Address
Age


Child #2
Name
Address
Age


Make sure to include a blank copy of this letter for your friends so they don’t have to retype. 

Sincerely,
___________

Interested? Just copy and paste this letter into a document, get a friend for #2, and start a book exchange together.

1 comment:

Stef said...

we've been loving this! Has Ezra received any? We only sent out two books to one little girl and Kara has already received FOUR! So exciting.

Thanks for inving us to play :)